Friday, September 30, 2011

Ropehead ROM Review: Warm TwoPointThree (Nightly - r280) [Sprint HTC EVO 3D]



So as we all know or may not know, an official alpha build of CM7 has been released for the HTC EVO 3D.  Unfortunately since it's still ALPHA, there are some issues that still need to be worked out such as the battery not charging correctly, the camera not working, bluetooth etc.  Now I've been a huge fan of AOSP builds of android, as opposed to manufacturer overlays (Sense, Touchwhiz, Blur, etc.) since my original G1.  With that said, I also need my daily driver phone to have all of its features working.  I flashed CM on my EVO 3D and boy was it fast.  It was nice to finally see an AOSP ROM in all its heavenly glory being backed by a dual core Snapdragon processor but.  That lasted for about an hour before I flashed back to my trusty sense ROM.  The sense ROM that I've actually been rawkin' for the past month.  Different builds of it anyway.  Which brings me to this review.

The sense ROM that took me away from all others which I believe to be the most stable, battery efficient, and cleanest looking EVAR is Warm TwoPointThree by Myn and Team Warm ROMs.  I don't even think official builds have been released as of yet, however, if you scour the official discussion thread on rootzwiki, I'm sure you'll find one.  That's where I first got a taste for this ROM goodness.  Even more so, if you set up an SVN program on your computer, you'll be able to download every revision made to it by tapping into their ROM repository.  Isn't that just convenient.  Let's get to the ROM shall we?


ROM: Warm TwoPointThree nightlies (Sprint HTC EVO 3D)
Developers: Myn & the Warm ROMs Team
ROM URL: http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?3473-ROM-Warm-TwoPointThree-Feedback-amp-Discussion-For-Future-Release


Appearance

Warm TwoPointThree hits homerun in terms of user experience from the very beginning when you notice the bootscreen loading.  It's actually the animation made to look like the actual default wallpaper with the sense interface loading.  It's the minor details that sets this ROM apart from everything else.  When it's finally loaded you notice that the notification bar is themed just enough to the point where you might think it's a regular gingerbread notification bar but the colors look a little bit more vibrant than most. There's an assortment of extra wallpapers loaded into this ROM as well which is just the tip of the iceberg.  From there, the dropdown notification area is semi-transparent along with the hidden quicksettings that are more robust than the stock quicksettings

The drawer, also being semi-transparent, has an extra category icon specifically for any Warm apps.  One of which is the latest version of Wireless Tether so you can wirelessly tether even your 4G data.

Features

In terms of features, the customizability of this ROM is just sickening (in a good way).  In the display settings you have the TV Out option which, in the event that you wish to mirror your phone's display on your HDTV or 3DTV, you can choose what orientation you would like it to be.  Playing Angry Birds in HD never looked so good!!  Speaking of settings, the Warm Settings also give you the ability to tweak the clock or even make it non existent for you minimal types as well as the battery and the signal icons as well.  You can even adjust what color you want it to change to when they get low.  On top of that, you can also choose whether or not you want the CRT on/off animations enabled and how you want the overscroll animations to be.

Included in the Warm Tweaks is also some actual HTC Sense options which include what you want the right launcher to be.  I personally use the right launcher's right side to launch the GTalk app but that's up to you.  It also gives you an option to make your app drawer 5 icons wide rather than just the usual 4.

The camera includes an HDR and Panorama option and adds 1080p 3D video recording for you HD heads.  Unfortunately, 1080p doesn't currently work for 2D video but with this ROM, I'm sure you it may happen sometime in the near future..

Conclusion

What more can I say about this ROM.  I'm sure there's a whole lot more that I forgot to mention but that's why you should basically just see for yourself.  Now once CM7 has become super stable, I know I won't be rawkin' Sense ROMs at all.  With that said, it's nice to know I have a Sense ROM that doesn't disapoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment